www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:00 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

From Today's Inside Costa Rica (Nov 7, 2007). Do we Gringos inflate the CR economy by this much? :wink:

Ticos To Receive us$600 Million Dollars in Remittances This Year

Some 300.000 Costa Ricans are expected to receive us$600 million dollars this year from family living and working a abroad, according to the Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo (BID) in its report released yesterday.

The BID calculates that each adult receives on average us$250 eight times a year for a total of us$2.000.

The BID made released the figures at the FELABAN Annual Assembly, the largest gathering of senior Latin American bankers outside the IMF. FELABAN - is a nonprofit organization constituted in 1965 in the city of Mar del Plata, Republic of Argentina. Through its members - Banking Associations and other Organizations in 19 countries of the continent - it is integrated by more than 600 Latin American financial institutions.

The BID gathered the information by a poll of 3.403 adults between 16 July 07 and 04 September 07.

According to the development bank, during the first half of the year, Costa Ricans received us$263 million dollars in remittances and us$519 in the past 12 months.

For Costa Rica, remittances are becoming an increasing important source of money. However, compared to other countries, Costa Rica receives only 5% of the total amount of remittances for 2007 that is estimated at us12.1 billion dollars.

The lower number, according to the BID, is not a bad thing, it means that Costa Ricans do not leave the country to work abroad as they are able to find work in the country, unlike in some other countries, like Nicaragua.

According to the BID poll, 71% of remittances received in Costa Rica come from the United States, 13% from Europe, 12% from Latin America and 3% from Canada.

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:04 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I wonder what percentage of that money is in the form of RFMs?? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:03 am 
I am not sure the article says what you thinking it is saying.

These are remittences of family members living and working abroad and sending money back to Costa Rica to support their families. I am quite certain that Novios abroad are a very small percentage of that number.

Sex tourism is big in Costa Rica, but it is not THAT big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:06 am 

Quote:
The BID gathered the information by a poll of 3.403 adults between 16 July 07 and 04 September 07.

They must have conducted those interviews at the BM.

Quote:
The BID calculates that each adult receives on average us$250 eight times a year for a total of us$2.000.

That number is just hard to believe.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:13 pm 

Pacifica55 wrote:
ID - I don't think you get it. The article is about native Costa Ricans working abroad and sending money back to their families in CR. It has nothing to do with the DR, chicas, RFMs or American Novios.

I think you missed the point of my post. The article stated each adult received on average 8 remittances a year at an average of $250.00 USD per remittance for a total of $2000.00 USD. Considering the average working Tico only makes about $6000 per year it is hard to imagine that every adult is also getting an additional $2000.00 each year. Also I do not think the article differentiates where the money is coming from. It could very easily include RFM from novios as well as Ticos working in the US sending money home.

The line about the BM was in jest but also somewhat anecdotal. I can imagine some chicas get 5000 and more every year from "love struck" gringos.

Alex Levine

Last edited by Irish Drifter on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:18 pm 

Irish Drifter wrote:
...The article stated each adult received on average 8 remittances a year at an average of $250.00 USD per remittance for a total of $5000.00 USD. Considering the average working Tico only makes slightly above that number it is hard to comprehend how every adult Tico is receiving $5000.00 every year.

The line about the BM was in jest but also somewhat anecdotal. I can imagine some chicas get 5000 and more every year from "love struck" grinos.

ID,
Sorry to correct your math, but 8 x $250 does not equal $5,000 USD. It's only $2,000 USD! It's time for another cup of coffee my friend!!!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 pm 

Mucho Gusto wrote:
ID,
Sorry to correct your math, but 8 x $250 does not equal $5,000 USD. It's only $2,000 USD! It's time for another cup of coffee my friend!!!!! :P

Gracias MG. Me bad :oops: :oops: I will edit the post to reflect that. Coffee will only make me wired think a bloody mary will work better :lol:

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:39 pm 

In many Latin America countries, family remittances from the US is the largest component of income. I think Guatemala and Nicauraga have over 50% of personal income coming in this way.

BKTUNA
I am never going home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:16 pm 

Bktuna wrote:
In many Latin America countries, family remittances from the US is the largest component of income. I think Guatemala and Nicauraga have over 50% of personal income coming in this way.

The article makes that point, somewhat obliquely, as well.

Quote:
For Costa Rica, remittances are becoming an increasing important source of money. However, compared to other countries, Costa Rica receives only 5% of the total amount of remittances for 2007 that is estimated at us12.1 billion dollars.

The lower number, according to the BID, is not a bad thing, it means that Costa Ricans do not leave the country to work abroad as they are able to find work in the country, unlike in some other countries, like Nicaragua.

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:02 am 
There is no question that RFM is a part of the total. It is pure speculation as to what the percentage is. My sense is that it is a minuscule part of that total.

There are 4 million people in Costa Rica, which means aprox. 2 million adults.

I have heard the number 10,000 puta in CR. Pure speculation for sure, but how much bigger could that number be?

I just don't see how it is possible for RFM to be a very big percentage of what is discussed in this article. The gulch is a very, very very small segment of life in Costa Rica. I think many of us here in CRT get a very distorted view of the relevance of the sex trade to Costa Rica as a whole.

Even within the tourism sector we are very small. Look around next time you are on a plane. It is not hard to figure out. We are absolutely minuscule compared the Costa Rican economy as a whole.

I will be the first to say that I don't know. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:17 am 

Logically, upon reading the article you would think that....but can they really differentiate the money arriving from family working abroad, and that of lovesick gringos sending RFMs? :?