www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cocal Food Sucks Now!
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 3:31 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

WTF is up with the restaurant at the Cocal? I was just there last week and everything I ordered sucked!

The food used to be average-to-good, like the food at the Taormina and other gulch hotels. But now, everything I ordered was barely edible--they couldn't even make a decent omelet. I rarely ate more than a quarter of the food they served. The presentation was always good, but taste was off on everything from the sushi to the quesadillas. All my meals were either over or under cooked, seasoned weird, and overpriced--a club sandwich and a coke is $20 now. And of course, they no longer provide free breakfast with the over-priced rooms. All that's left is a good atmosphere and a lot of eye candy.

I thought about sending a complaint to the Cocal, but I suspect they really don't care about these things as long as rooms are booked and the bar is making bank.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I was there in March and the food was not great. I used to enjoy their meals, but I agree that they seemed to have dropped the quality a bit. I eat elsewhere now and then maybe come back and have a coffee or an ice cream (or banana split) and sit at the beach-side tables and watch the parade of ladies.

Last edited by continentaltraveler on Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:00 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

That's a shame. Last time I was there the food was pretty good and reasonably priced for a hotel. I'm there next week so I'll have to find a spot to grab breakfast. Sunrise Cafe, over the bridge before the turn in to Hotel Jaco was always good. And that little 50s style diner (don't remember the name) was good but pretty expensive.

Plenty of places nearby to grab lunch or dinner.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:00 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

David's place, Sunrise is great - the nice little pink place down by Diamonte on Pastor Diaz -- agreed. Another good "American" breakfast that I think is likely one of the best in Jaco would be at Public House Jaco Grill. It is at the end of the street from Cocal on Pastor Diaz (Main stretch) below the Ohm Lounge. It has self-service coffee and nice fresh breakfast.

For Dinner, do Koko Gastro Bar on the beach. Just down the beach (going North) from Cocal. Or Ohana Sushu Tapas y Bar. They are just South of Cocal on the next road over (C. Hicaco).

My two cents anyway. Or with inflation, maybe my 2 dollars...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:15 pm 

Food was good when I was there 14 months ago. I am headed there on the 23,24 & 25 and Hotel Jaco on the 22 and 26. I didn't know about Hotel Jaco until after I made my reservations. The owner is from Texas and rooms are nicer and less money.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:27 pm 

Hank wrote:
Food was good when I was there 14 months ago. I am headed there on the 23,24 & 25 and Hotel Jaco on the 22 and 26. I didn't know about Hotel Jaco until after I made my reservations. The owner is from Texas and rooms are nicer and less money.

Agreed, Hotel Jaco is awesome. Most of the rooms are two room suites. Great pool and no annoying bass lines pounding through your door at all hours of the day and night. The restaurant and bar are good but pretty expensive. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Totally guest friendly. If you want a 24 hour drink and party atmosphere, then pick the Cocal. If you want to kick back and relax a bit during your downtime then Hotel Jaco is the place.

Pricewise, it was very close to the Cocal. At Hotel Jaco, with taxes the room I wanted ran about $145 a night (price shown on the website before checkout is $124). A poolside room at the Cocal is $150 and the price shown on their website includes all taxes. If you are a CRT VIP member you are supposed to get a 10% discount which should bring it down to $135 though maybe they won't discount the tax part of the rate. I will find out on Sunday when I check in and report back.

Even for a few extra bucks I would pick Hotel Jaco. It's just so much nicer and still a short walk to the Cocal if you want to play there. I've stayed there twice and loved it. The only thing that kept me from booking it this trip is that they require you to put down the full amount when you book as a deposit. And it is pretty much non-refundable if you have to cancel for any reason. As long as you plans are solid, definitely book Hotel Jaco.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:39 am 

Hotel Jaco has a 50% cancellation fee over 30 days. Under 30 days 100% But I am not worried cause I will be there

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:21 pm 

Well I will be at the Cocal the nights of May 20-22. Maybe I'll run into you at the bar on the 22nd. Regardless, have a great trip.