www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jaco or Puerto Viejo?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:37 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I am in the process of doing additional researh for my second trip to CR. My first trip was the first of April 2005. I plan to go the end of May 2005.

I would like to take a chica to the beach with me for 2 or 3 days. My first trip I realized it is not that difficult to find a chica who will go to the beach with you. I picked up a chica in the Del Rey Lounge Bar for $50 for 2 hours. After the session I took her back to the bar for a farewell drink. While chit chatting in my non existent spanish she asks me if I wanted to take her to the beach. So now I am thinking it sure must not be hard to find a chica to take to the beach if you ask.

Back to the question. Which is better Jaco or Puerto Viejo? I am not a hang out in the bar type of person. Don't get me wrong as I will hit the bottle of booze in a second. I would just like to lay on the beach, get my feet wet in the ocean, a nice restaurant, a quick stop for a coctail or two, than the main event back at the hotel.

Any feedback is a plus as I could not have enjoyed myself so much on my first trip without the help of CRT'ers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:12 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I would recommend puerto viejo over Jaco hands down, its more quiet not as commercial and much cleaner. If you want an even better beach IMO is playa hermosa in guanacaste about a 4 hour trip from SJ, not crowded at all and decent hotels for 25-50$ a night. It all depends what you want to do these 3 beach towns are very different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:30 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Been to both and cannot recommend either. Never been to the upscale beaches in the Northwest however.

Everyone has a different opinion.

I would do a lot of research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:36 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

This has been posted numerous times in the past, but just to reiterate...
make sure you know the chica quite well beforehand, because compatibility issues can lead to disaster. Does one of you smoke and the other doesn't? Are you both 'party' (drinking, dancing, etc.) people or more 'laid-back'/reserved. Discuss the price and time upfront. Do not pay upfront. Be prepared for the chica making and receiving many cell phone calls to her familia. It's gotten so bad with a couple of chicas I've taken to the beach, that I literally wanted to throw the phucking phone into the ocean! Be prepared for an 'early return' by the chica, as she may claim to have an emergency in the familia.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:01 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Gringotim wrote:
This has been posted numerous times in the past, but just to reiterate...make sure you know the chica quite well beforehand, because compatibility issues can lead to disaster. .

Gringtoim, I am a newbie but not a newbie to life and women I never use the word puta as all women are women. You just have to look at their childhood.

Whether or not I get ripped off is my decision. It won't be the first time. Will we get along? If not I will send her on her merry way, bus fare, and time spent.

Now my question.

Jaco or Puerto Viejo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:36 pm 

If I was taking a girl it would be Puerto Viejo hands down.It is much more laid back.Reminds me of Jamacia but not touristy at all.Lots of Europeans seem to frequent that side.That is one of my favorite areas of the counrty and would like to see more of it myself.rbc100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:31 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I like Puerto Veijo alot the wave there is known as the Costa Rican pipeline. It reminds me alot of when I used to live in Cuba. I have not been to Veijo in about 5 years. It seems that they have alot more nicer places to stay now. I saw alot of really good links on this site conerning Veijo if i find them again I will post you a link. If you are bringing a girl this would be my choice too. If your not go to Jaco. Puerto Veijo was a laid back town and its a nice senic drive which has miles and miles of driving right along the coast. There is alot of rasta's farin's there. I read an article in am costa rica the policia just chopped down and burned 700,000 pot plants real close to there like 3 weeks ago. You might get high just walking around lol.

Surfdog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:07 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Surfdog wrote:
I read an article in am costa rica the policia just chopped down and burned 700,000 pot plants real close to there like 3 weeks ago. You might get high just walking around lol.

Surfdog

Oh shit, you are bringing back some of my younger years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:09 pm 

Herb...if you hit "search" above and type in each name under separate search, you will find an exhaustive list of postings on both these towns.

Summary for my 2 colones worth...best beach, Puerto Viejo and south hands down. Most nightlife/entertainment...Jaco. Cheapest accomodations, PV. Nicest hotels, Jaco. Most surfer crowd...Jaco. Most international crowd...PV. Most dangerous drug culture (I know this will surprise or be contested)...Jaco. Most relaxing and romantic...PV. Closest proximity and ease of getting there...Jaco. Most friendly for non Spanish speakers...PV. Where your chica may run into her friends...Jaco. Best mongering...Jaco.

Make your own list of pros and cons...then decide. There are CRT discounts on both sides...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:44 pm 

When I saw the title of this thread and the name of the last poster TMan, I thought "Oh no, I can pretty much guess which side he is going to come down on this issue". I won't say I was surprised to see his extremely balanced analysis (and also very valid) , but I was certainly pleased. Its that type of fairness and objectivity that also makes him such a great admin. Hats off to you Mr. T.

That said, I'll say what TMan didn't say but which seems to be the general consensus. While it is true that each place has its pros and cons and each individual may have their own perfectly valid preference, based on what you laid out for your own priorities, between those 2 choices I'd have to say I think you'd be much better off with PV. Jaco has more nightlife and more local P4P. Since you will be bringing your "own", so to speak, and since you are not into the bar scene anyway, those advantages shouldn't matter much to you.

You should still research the nature of each place yourself and determine which one better fits any needs of yours that you have not mentioned. Also, don't shortchange GT's advice. Sure you may be prepared to send your chica packing, but if you're in a place with few local P4P options you may end up sleeping alone (that may be an argument in favor of Jaco). You yourself said there are no shortage of willing candidates. Don't just pick the first one that says yes or the one that is great in the sack for an hour at a time. Do your research on your travel companion too. Its better you make sure you make the wise pick of companion BEFORE you leave SJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:46 pm 

Herb,

Based on my experience in both towns, I completely concur with what Tman and Prolijo said in the previous posts. They're really totally different environments, but I for one would never bother taking a chica to Jaco. Its not a nice enough beach area to justify visiting just for the beach experience, and there's good mongering available at the Beatle Bar and elsewhere anyways.

On the other hand, I would definitely consider taking a girl to the Carribean, especially for that "get away from it all" type of experience that you seem to be looking for. The beaches south of Puerto Viejo - Punta Uva and Manzanillo in particular - are as beautiful and unspoiled as just about any you will ever see.

As others also mentioned, I wouldn't just limit my options to these two places, but also consider Quepos, and though further away, the various beaches in the northwest Guanacaste area (Tamarindo, etc.). In any case, prepare for some hot and humid weather no matter where you end up - the climate is far different on the coast than in San Jose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:17 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Prolijo wrote:
Do your research on your travel companion too. Its better you make sure you make the wise pick of companion BEFORE you leave SJ

I will take my time shopping. Even then if things don't work out I am prepared to pay for time spent. Walk the chica to the first bus stop and say adios see you in San Juan in a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:29 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

GetRhythm wrote:
On the other hand, I would definitely consider taking a girl to the Carribean, especially for that "get away from it all" type of experience that you seem to be looking for.

That is exactly what I want. Somewhere to just chill out at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:37 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Negotiation time,,,,,,,,,,What would be a reasonable price to pay for 3 days 2 nights on the Caribbean Coast?

Last edited by Herbf on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:31 am 

You know, I may try for a beach excursion on my upcoming trip too - but not if I have to pay the girl to go with me. I really feel like she needs to like me to some degree already if I'm going to take the risk. In which case, she should be willing to give up a day or two of income in exchange for a nice time. Plus, if I'm paying for all expenses - including perhaps a gift and a spa treatment - and that's not enough, then I would just as soon stay in San Jose and avail myself of what's available there.